Saturday, February 17, 2007

Mullholland Drive: Weird for Weird's Sake?

I'd like to talk a little bit about a movie I saw recently. It's not exactly a new movie. In fact, it came a few years ago. However, the reason it's on my mind is because, quite frankly, it was like nothing else I've ever seen in my life. The movie is David Lynch's Mullholland Drive, and I've never seen any other mainstream, critically acclaimed film that made quite so little sense to me. I normally enjoy movies that are creatively different from the majority of the crap Hollywood pumps out year after year. But keep in mind, when I say creative, I mean creative with a purpose and not simply creative for the sake of being weird. The latter of these two distinctions is how I saw Mullholland Drive. I mean, it's one thing for a plot to be non-linear, and to incorporate flashbacks and things like that. It's entirely different to create scenes featuring incredibly strange characters who only appear once or twice without any explanation of who they are or how they relate to the story and to then completely alter the main characters' names and identities midway through the film. I kept watching, waiting to be blown away by an ingenious ending which somehow would tie everything together, but instead the movie ended abrubtly and without any explanation whatsoever. Afterwards, I even resorted to researching Mullholland Drive in an attempt to gain some sort of closure. One article I found stated that "you don't have to understand David Lynch to appreciate his movies, and you don't have to understand Mulholland Drive to appreciate it as a masterpiece of modern cinema." While I agree it's true to a degree that you don't always have to fully understand art to appreciate it, I think something needs to at least make a certain amount of artistic sense to be considered a "masterpiece," which is the main objection I have with this statement. Too be honest, I think the plot of Mullholland Drive could have been written by an eleven-year-old with A.D.D. That might be a bit harsh, and maybe all I need to to is watch the movie again a little more closely, but right now, suffice to say that Mullholland Drive isn't exactly my cup of tea.

No comments: